The Brunel Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences BSc is designed for students interested in learning how sports science can be used to optimise athletic development, sport performance, as well as how it enhances health and wellbeing.
You’ll learn how the human body works on physiological, biomechanical and psychological levels and how to apply this knowledge to training methods, mental techniques and nutritional strategies that enable people to consistently perform at the upper ranges of their abilities.
Crucially, you’ll gain insight into how the mind and body respond to the demands of sport and exercise and how they react under intense conditions such as strenuous physical activity or competition.
Your studies will be supported by some of the best teaching and sports facilities in the UK that include our:
- state-of-the-art physiology, biomechanics and psychology laboratories
- world-class indoor athletics centre
- international-standard 400m six-lane athletics track with full field event facilities
- large indoor netball hall
- multi-use sports centre equipped with squash, basketball and netball courts, as well as a superb climbing wall.
- members-only fitness suite featuring treadmills, cycles and rowing machines
- a weight-training area with free and fixed weights
- grass and third-generation (3G) all-weather pitches
- outdoor tennis courts
You'll also have the opportunity to carry out a placement as part of your degree, giving you the experience to create a stand-out CV. Our Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences BSc offers two placement options: you can choose to carry out two placements during the summer vacations within the three year degree, or a one year placement between years two and three, as part of a four year degree.
This course is endorsed by The British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES).