The research will be undertaken by a team of experienced investigators alongside three postdoctoral researchers. Fieldwork will be conducted in two schools and their local communities in remote rural areas of India, Laos and Lesotho.
1) Desk research - analysis of academic literature, organisational reports and policy documents
2) School-based ethnographic research including participatory group activities with students, lesson observation, discourse analysis of textbooks, curricula and exams, interviews with teachers and students
3) Community-based ethnographic research including interviews / focus groups with parents, other family members, community leaders, young people in secondary education and young people no longer in education
4) Interviews with stakeholders in the policy community
5) Policy-focused dissemination and feedback workshops, cascading up from school students, via local communities, to national and international level stakeholders
6) Design of a questionnaire, and piloting with 200 young people per country, to explore how the qualitative findings might be operationalised for quantitative research.