We believe that Additive Manufacturing and 4D Printing will open new horizons for products and applications. 4D Printed parts offer actuation, without requiring external devices, power or electromechanical systems. This offers a more sustainable and compact product architecture; reduces assembly time by minimizing the need for motors, sensors or electronics during post-fabrication; and eliminates expensive components and failure-prone devices in mechanical electrical or robotic devices. To enable a greater uptake of 4D Printed parts, we conduct research in the following areas:
- Computer-Aided-Design, Simulation and Interfaces for 4D Printing;
- Functionally Graded Additive Manufacturing; Additive Manufacturing Processes for 4D Printing;
- Mechanical Metamaterials; Programmable Materials and Stimuli-Responsive Materials for 4D Printing;
- Mathematical Modelling; Predictive Computational Analysis for 4D Printing;
- Artificial Intelligence; Generative Design for 4D Printing;
- Applications and Products for 4D Printing.