Exit Menu

Arriving in the UK

When you arrive at the airport, there are certain things to remember to ensure that you do not experience any problems in entering the UK. You will have to present your passport and visa to a UK Border Officer. However, please be aware that you may be asked certain questions and requested to provide other documents just to confirm your reasons for coming to the UK; to study with us. 

Information for nationals of the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland

From 1 January 2021, citizens of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland will need to apply for immigration permission to enter or remain in the UK. If you are a EU/EEA/Swiss national entering the UK from 1 January 2021 to study on a degree course, you will need to make a Student visa application. Please visit our website for further details of how to do this. 

However, if you have entered the UK (or intend to) before 1 January 2021, you can apply for permission to remain in the UK under the EU Settlement Scheme. Please take this into account before travelling to the UK. Note that this does not apply to nationals of the Republic of Ireland, who will not be subject to UK immigration control.  

Student visas - when to enter the UK

If you are applying for a Student visa, it is very important that you do not travel to the UK before your Student visa is granted. This would be possible if you are a non-visa national as you could enter on your passport to visit for six months, for example, if you are a national of the USA, Canada or any EU/EEA country (as well as many others). 

The problem with doing this is that your Student visa is not 'activated' until you enter the UK after the issue date. If you enter the UK before the issue date of the Student visa, it will not be valid, and you can only stay in the UK for six months. We would not be able to register you on your course if this is found to be the case as your Student visa will not be valid. The only solution would be for you to leave the UK and re-enter on your Student visa, which would likely be expensive and inconvenient. 

If you are granted a Student entry clearance visa overseas (the vignette in your passport), you must ensure that you only enter the UK during the validity period of this visa.

If you are an EU/EEA national, please also ensure that you do not travel to the UK before your Student visa is granted (although this will be in a digital format). 

Requirements for entering the UK in response to Covid-19

In response to the Covid-19 pandemic, there will be certain things that you have to do before and after arriving in the UK. 

From Monday 18 January 2021, all passengers wishing to enter England must have proof of a negative coronavirus (COVID-19) test to travel to England. The test must be taken within three days of travelling and passengers will likely need to present this to the airline before being allowed to fly to England (if applicable).

Please visit the UK Government website for further details: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-for-people-travelling-to-england.

Regardless of where you are travelling from, you will need to notify the UK Home Office of your details by completing an online form. Please visit the website: https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-contact-details-before-travel-uk

Depending on the country you are travelling from, you may be required to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival in the UK. For further details, please visit the website: https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/coronavirus-covid-19-immigration-and-borders

Furthermore, entry into England is banned from certain countries to prevent the spread of Covid-19 variants. These are known as 'red list' countries.

People with long term residence rights in the UK are still allowed to enter - for example, if you have a Student visa, you would be allowed to enter. However, if you have travelled from or through a 'red list' country, you will be required to undertake a 10 day quarantine period in a government approved hotel. Please visit the UKVI website for further details of this. 

Please take this information into account if you are planning on travelling to England to commence your study at Brunel University London. 

Documents required to enter the UK

You should carry all of these documents with you in your hand luggage just in case you need to prove to a Border Force Officer why you are seeking entry to the UK. Please keep the documents very safe and do not lose them in the airport.

  • Passport
  • Visa
  • A copy of your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) - you should print the email that we send you
  • A copy of your offer letter for your course
  • Details about your accommodation if this has been arranged (for example, your tenancy agreement)

Questions you may be asked

You may be asked some simple questions about your studies and your stay in the UK by the Border Force Officer. Do not be alarmed if this happens. You only need to answer the questions honestly. Your documents will also help confirm the reason why you are entering the UK to study with us.

Bringing other items into the UK

There are some things that you should not bring to the UK. For example, you cannot bring meat or dairy products from outside of the European Union (EU). We also do not recommend that you carry very large amounts of cash with you to avoid the risk of it being lost or stolen. For further advice about entering the UK as a student, please visit the UKVI website.

Getting to Brunel University London

Many of our international students arrive at Heathrow Airport, which is the UK's largest airport. Fortunately, this is also the closest airport to Brunel University. It is less than five miles away. There are many buses that can take you to the University or it is a short taxi journey. Please visit our website for further details of how to get here. This includes details of how to travel to Brunel University from other destinations.

In September, we also offer a free Airport Welcome Service and an orientation programme. Information about this will be provided in your registration instructions.