Exit Menu

Visas and Immigration


August 2021 - Entering the UK Covid-19 restrictions: 
 Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, there are many additional requirements for entering the UK. Please visit our website about arriving in the UK below for more details.

October 2021 - Information for European Union (EU) nationals entering the UK: Please note that from 1 October 2021, it will not be possible to enter the UK using an Identification (ID) Card issued by an EU country. You will need a valid passport (and the appropriate immigration permission) to enter the UK if necessary.  

 Student Visa Advice

On 5 October 2020, a new 'Student Immigration Route' was introduced in the UK. This has replaced the Tier 4 (General) visa category and will apply to EU/EEA Nationals wishing to enter the UK from 1 January 2021. 

If you are an international student then it is likely that you will need a visa to study at Brunel University London. If you are not sure then you can use the 'Do I need a visa?' service on the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) website for more help.

For all undergraduate, postgraduate, research and most English Language courses at Brunel you should typically apply for a Student visa, which covers the whole duration of your course. 

We hope that you should find the answers to any questions on these pages. Please also refer to our Frequently Asked Questions page. However, if you are not able to find the information that you need, please contact us

Information for EU, EEA and Swiss Nationals

From 1 January 2021, citizens of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland will need to apply for immigration permission to enter or remain in the UK. If you are a EU/EEA/Swiss national entering the UK for the first time after 1 January 2021 to study, you will need to make a Student visa application to study at Brunel. 

Please visit the appropriate sections below for further details about how to apply for a  Student visa, and other important visa and immigration related information.

Latest News

Information for international students joining Brunel from September 2021

At the moment international students holding Student visas are allowed to study online from their home country. UKVI have recently confirmed that this concession will be extended until 6 April 2022 for students unable to travel to the UK. 

However, Brunel University will be changing back to largely on-campus teaching from September 2021 and we are encouraging all students, where possible, to study on-campus from September. Please visit our website for further details about this. Therefore, we recommend Students starting in September 2021 apply for and obtain their Student Visa before the start of the course and arrive in the UK in time for the start of teaching. But online/remote study will be supported if this is not possible. 

Please note that there may be different teaching plans if you are joining the Brunel Pathway College, which will be communicated to you separately.

Covid-19 and visa regulations

In response to the Covid-19 situation, the UK Government has changed some of the rules for students who need to make a visa application and for Universities like Brunel who sponsor Student visas.  

We have published information on our website to provide information to our current and prospective students about how these changes may affect them.

Useful guidance can also be found on the UK Council for International Student Affairs - UKCISA website.

Graduate Immigration Route (Post Study Work Visa)

 The Graduate Immigration Route (also known as a post study work visa) was introduced on 1 July 2021. Please see below for a summary of the key points of this visa, which you may be eligible for after successfully completing your degree at Brunel University. 

  • International students who complete their course in or after the summer of 2021 will be eligible to apply.
    Students who started a one year master's degree course in September 2020 and have only studied overseas, must have entered the UK by 27 September 2021 (or before the visa expires if this is sooner); 
  • It has also been confirmed that students starting a one year master's degree in January 2021 must have entered the UK by 27 September 2021 to qualify;
  • Students who entered the UK for their study before having to leave due to Covid-19 will qualify, but must re-enter the UK before their visa expires;
  • It will be open to students who complete a course at undergraduate, postgraduate or research level, who have a valid Tier 4/Student visa at the point of application (which must have been issued for the completed course). The Tier 4/Student visa needs to have been issued at least 12 months before the application;
  • The student must have a valid Tier 4/Student visa at the point of application and must be in the UK. It will not be possible to 'switch' from a non-Tier 4/Student visa to the Graduate visa; 
  • Unfortunately, the Graduate route will not be open to students who will complete their studies before the summer of 2021, or who do not hold a valid Tier 4/Student visa;
  • The visa will be two years long and will allow a graduate to work, or look for work, in any sector and at any level in the UK. The visa will be three years long for research graduates i.e. PhD; 
  • The visa will not be extendable and will not lead to settlement in the UK. However, it will be possible to switch into a skilled work route if the standard requirements are met; 
  • The visa application will cost £700.