Psychology Undergraduate Programme Lead
I joined Brunel University London in January 2018. Previously, I worked as a Post-doctorate Research Fellow and Teaching Associate at the School of Psychology and Clinical Language Sciences, University of Reading; and as a Research Fellow in Allied Health Research at the Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Southampton. In 2013, I took up a Lectureship in Health Psychology at the Department of Psychology, Social Work and Public Health, Faculty of Health and Life Sciences, Oxford Brookes University. In 2015, I joined the Department of Psychology, School of Health & Social Sciences, Buckinghamshire New University as a Senior Lecturer in Psychology.
Currently, I am a Reader (Education) in Psychology in the Division of Psychology, Department of Life Sciences, College of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences.
- Licenciate [Licenciatura] in Psychology, specialising in Psychotherapy and Counselling - University of Lisbon [Universidade de Lisboa], Portugal
- Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education (PCTHE) - Oxford Brookes University
- MSc in Research Methods in Psychology - University of Reading
- PhD in Psychology - University of Reading
- Programme Lead BSc Psychology
- Psychology Lead Education Academic
- Psychology Teaching Exercise Framework (TEF) Coordinator
- British Psychological Society (BPS) Accreditation Liaison
- Psychology Interprofessional Learning (IPL) Champion
- Psychology National Student Survey (NSS) Champion
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Recognised Programme Developer (RPD)
- Member of the University Education Committee
- Member of the Academic Professional Development Unit (APDU) Advisory Group
- Member of the Active Learning Enabling Group (Education and Student Experience Strategy)
- Member of the Brunel Academy for the Transformation of Teaching Steering Committee
- Fellow of the Brunel Academy for the Transformation of Teaching
- Mental Health First Aider
Newest selected publications
Adams, J., Barratt, P., Rombach, I., Arden, N., Barbosa Bouças, S., Bradley, S., (2021) 'The clinical and cost effectiveness of splints for thumb base osteoarthritis: a randomized controlled clinical trial'. Rheumatology, 60 (6). pp. 2862 - 2877. ISSN: 1462-0324et al.
Howcutt, SJ., Barbosa-Bouças, S., Brett, J., Barnett, AL. and Smith, LA. (2021) 'Lifestage differences in young UK women's reasons for research participation'. Health Promotion International, 36 (1). pp. 132 - 142. ISSN: 0957-4824
Adams, J., Barratt, P., Arden, NK., Barbosa Bouças, S., Bradley, S., Doherty, M., (2020) 'The Osteoarthritis Thumb Therapy (OTTER) II Trial: a study protocol for a three-arm multi-centre randomised placebo controlled trial of the clinical effectiveness and efficacy and cost-effectiveness of splints for symptomatic thumb base osteoarthritis'. BMJ Open, 9 (10). pp. e028342 - e028342. ISSN: 2044-6055 Open Access Linket al.
Adams, J., Barratt, P., Arden, NK., Boucas, SB., Bradley, S., Doherty, M., (2020) 'THE OA THUMB THERAPY TRIAL: A THREE ARM MULTI-CENTRE RANDOMISED CONTROLLED TRIAL OF THE CLINICAL EFFECTIVENESS AND EFFICACY OF SPLINTS FOR SYMPTOMATIC THUMB BASE OA'.Annual Conference of the British-Society-for-Rheumatology (BSR). Glasgow, SCOTLAND. 1 - 22 April. OXFORD UNIV PRESS. ISSN: 1462-0324et al.
Howcutt, SJ., Barbosa-Boucas, S., Barnett, AL. and Smith, LA. (2018) 'RF24 Engaging underrepresented women as participants in studies about health risks: life stage differences in motivations to participate'.Society for Social Medicine 62nd Annual Scientific Meeting, Hosted by the MRC/CSO Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, University of Glasgow, 5–7 September 2018. BMJ Publishing Group Ltd. pp. A54 - A54. ISSN: 0143-005X