Reopening of study spaces in the Library
We are pleased to announce that, from Monday 8th March 2021, we will be opening up the whole of the Library in the Bannerman Centre, to Brunel students and staff only. However, please note that COVID restrictions will remain in place to help keep everyone safe.
- A “No ID, No Entry” policy will apply
- Face coverings must be worn at all times whilst in the Bannerman Library space
- Social Distancing of 2m must be maintained
- Cleaning and hand sanitising regimes continue
Students will still need to have booked a study space in advance of their visit and must present their ID to the Library Welcome Desk on arrival. Only students with a booked study space will be able to browse the book shelves for material.
Click & Collect service will be available to students who do not wish to enter the Library.
Click & Post and Scan & Send will still be available to students who are unable to come onto campus. Please continue to check our webpages and our COVID-19 support portal for the latest information, as arrangements are subject to last minute alteration as government advice evolves.
22-25 February: Maintenance work to affect study space availability
Due to work on the ventilation system in the Bannerman Centre, 1st floor study spaces will be unavailable after 6pm from Monday 22 February until Thursday 25 February. Please be prepared to vacate the floor by 6pm. If you wish to study after 6pm please ensure you have only booked a space on the Ground Floor. You may only book a single session. It will not be possible to book a space on the 1st floor up to 6pm and then separate space on the Ground Floor for after 6pm.
Update on Bannerman Library opening hours & ID card printing
In response to Student Union feedback, Library Services has arranged an extension of Bannerman Library opening hours during the current lockdown to help those students who are struggling to find quiet evening study space. Starting from Saturday 20 February, the revised opening hours will be:
Monday- Friday: 9am – 9pm
Saturday & Sunday: 12 noon – 9pm
Click and Collect/Post requests will be actioned during Library Help Desk operating hours (10am – 6pm weekdays, 12 noon – 7pm weekends).
Please note that existing COVID Secure procedures still apply such as the need to book study spaces in advance via the Library’s booking system, wearing of face coverings and a “no ID, no entry” policy.
N.B. Students who need replacement ID cards can now book an appointment online to obtain one from Bannerman when the Student Centre is closed. See our information page for details, including cost.
Please always check the Library webpages for latest information (or contact us) as we adjust services in line with Government guidance and student demand.
Changes to Library study spaces booking process
The Library is continuing to offer pre-booked individual study spaces within the Library. Space is at a premium at the moment, since we have had to reduce capacity for the lock down period to comply with national health and safety guidance. However, although many spaces are booked, not everyone is taking up the space on the day. This means no one else can book the space which is leading to frustration for students and staff alike. To mitigate against this, we have made a few changes to how the study spaces can be booked.
- Spaces may now only be booked a maximum of 3 days in advance. We are hoping this will encourage users to only book the space if there is a real immediate need to leave home or halls for study, especially at the moment when leaving home should be at the absolute minimum.
- Sessions will be automatically cancelled if you have not arrived and checked in at the Welcome Desk, within 30 minutes of the start of your booked session. The session will then be available for others to book. Again, we are hoping that this will encourage people to only book the times they are actually going to be able to use the space. If you do want to use the space but there is a delay due to travel difficulties etc. and you are not going to be able to make the start time, please ring 01895 266141 as soon as you can. We will be able to adjust the start time of the booking for you so you do not lose it.
- Only one session can be booked per day. Please select the blue block at the start time of the session. This defaults to an hour. If longer than an hour is needed, please go to the bottom of the screen and select the end time from the drop-down menu. One start time and one end time = one session. We hope this will discourage people from booking multiple very short slots, unnecessary and time wasting for you and us.
Revised Library Services arrangements for third national lockdown
Following the UK Government’s announcement of a third national lockdown from Wednesday 6 January, we are making the following adjustments to our services:
- Bannerman Library will remain open for prebooked individual study but with reduced weekday opening hours (Monday to Friday 10am – 6pm, Saturday & Sunday 12 noon – 7pm)
- Please note there will be reduced capacity (Ground Floor & 1st Floor extension only) and access to stock will now be on a request basis via Click & Collect
- Click & Collect service for print stock will be available for staff, in-Library users and for students living in campus accommodation only
- Click & Post service will be available for Brunel users living off-site
- Face-to-face enquiry support will be replaced by virtual enquiry support (including enquiries to our Records, Archives and Special Collections team) – please see our contact us page
- Requests for access to/information about the Special Collections should be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Access to digital copies will be provided, if available, on request. Assistance with research will also be provided on request as the Reading Room is currently closed. Further information on accessing Special Collections can be found on the Using the collections page.
- Scan & Send electronic document delivery service will be available to the Brunel community from w/c 11 January
Please continue to check our webpages and our COVID-19 support portal for the latest information as arrangements are subject to last minute alteration as government advice evolves.
Library provision over the Christmas vacation
- The Bannerman Library will remain open with its current COVID Secure provision for individual pre-booked study and self-service loans/returns until Xmas Eve this year, closing from Xmas Day to New’s Year Day inclusive then reopening for the new term from Saturday 2 January. Details on exact opening hours are available here.
- Please note that weekend hours have been adjusted during this period in response to student requests for longer afternoon opening – moving to 12 noon to 7pm from the weekend of 12 December.
- Please continue to bring a face covering and Student ID in order to gain access to the Library.
- Last orders for the Click & Collect, Click & Post and Scan & Send remote delivery services will be on Thursday 17 December and will then resume on Monday 4 January.
- For the first time during a Xmas vacation, the Library’s new online 24/7 web chat service will be available 24/7 to provide you with virtual enquiry support.
- Online Library resources are available as normal throughout the Xmas period.
- Please use the methods on our contact us page to send us any queries.
Library launches two new services
The library is pleased to offer two new services aimed at students who are working remotely and unable to come to campus.
First is our new Click and post service. For students that meet the eligibility criteria the Library will post out requested items to the user. It is however restricted to UK addresses only.
Secondly students can apply to use our Scan and send service to request a chapter or article from print books or journals in the Library stock. This is for personal study or research only and requests are subject to copyright restrictions.
Lockdown 2: Brunel Library will remain open
The Library will remain open, with the current opening hours and services, during lockdown unless the forthcoming DfE guidance requires us to make changes. Please continue to check the Library website for the latest information.
We are planning additional new services to launch hopefully before Christmas which will benefit students working remotely, regardless of lockdown e.g. postal loans/returns and scanning services. The auto-renew service will continue which means, after a standard loan period of 4 weeks, loans will renew automatically for another 4 weeks up until 6 times (i.e. 28 weeks in total) unless they have been reserved by another user. We have also removed overdue charges on everything except items that have been reserved and recalled. In most circumstances commuting students will not need to bring back books just because of lockdown and they can always contact us if there are special circumstances.
Brunel Library open for enrolment week
Following our successful restricted reopening period from the end of July, we are pleased to be able to open up the rest of the Library in Bannerman from Monday 21 September to the whole Brunel Community. However, please note that we are now operating in a new way with various measures to help keep the Brunel Community safe, including:
- Bookings must be made in advance to use the Library – 2M distanced study spaces are available on every floor with or without PCs but group study spaces are not available
- There is a no ID, no entry policy and face coverings must be worn at all times with the Student Code of Conduct and Community Pledge respected
- We are offering a new Click & Collect book service for customers who do not wish to enter the Library or just want specific items
- Suspension of 24/7 Bannerman opening but we are offering 24/7 webchat support for the first time this year
- Enhanced cleaning regime in place with self-service alcoholic wipe stations for desks and PCs and additional handgel dispensers
- Revised ground floor layouts and helpdesk areas with queue lanes indicated.
We’re also pleased to announce that we have removed Library fines on overdue items (with the exception of late reserved items) and have gone cashless.
Please check our Library website and reopening portal for the latest information on services and opening hours or contact us as arrangements are subject to last-minute changes in line with evolving government and Health & Safety requirements.
Great news – Brunel Library is extending its special reopening period
Following a successful reopening period for revising students, Brunel Library is now offering exclusive weekday access from Tuesday 1 September until Friday 11 September (9am to 5pm) for postgraduate taught students who are completing their dissertations this year. This was arranged in consultation with the Brunel Student Union. Eligible students will still need to prebook a study space on the ground or first floors in advance of their visit and present their ID to the Library Welcome Desk on arrival. N.B. Face coverings must also be worn at all times whilst in the Bannerman Library space.
In addition, a new Click & Collect service for Library books will be trialled during this period for the benefit of all postgraduates, doctoral students and academic staff. Up to 6 item requests can be made via the Library’s catalogue. An email will be sent to the requester when the items are ready for collection with a 3 day window to come to the Library Welcome Desk to collect their items (already checked out and bagged up) without needing to enter the Library itself.
For further information and to make bookings of study space and/or books, please visit the Library’s special Reopening Portal or use the Contact us page if you have any questions.
Masks to be worn at all times in the library
In line with government guidance, face coverings will be mandatory for all Library users from Monday 17/8/2020. This is subject to the usual exclusions for medical reasons.
And we’re back! The Library is partially reopening Bannerman from Monday 27 July to Friday 27 August
COVID19 service restrictions do apply however so we are only able to offer individual desk spaces for revision and access to resources for those students who have examinations in August.
We will not be able to open the Library fully to any other customers until the whole campus reopens in September. Please continue to use our online services in the meantime and watch out for future announcements.
We have reconfigured our Bannerman Library space to introduce various health and safety measures to protect students and our staff, including capacity and access restrictions. Students will be expected to play their part in maintaining a safe study and working environment by following handwashing and sanitation guidelines displayed.
This means that eligible students will need to reserve a specific numbered seat before turning up to the Library and present their Brunel ID card at the Welcome desk in order to gain entry (a no ID no entry policy will apply). A regular Book Fetch Service will also be available for students revising within the Library to request items from our collections as there will be no access to open shelving areas.
Full details of the process and services we can offer at present are available from our special reopening webpages please contact us if you have any queries.
Freepost book returns service now available for graduating students
Are you graduating this year but still have Brunel Library books at home with you? If so, please check your Brunel email account for details of an innovative new freepost returns scheme which will enable us to get our precious books back at no cost to yourself! If you didn’t receive the email, or have any questions, please contact us 24/7.
Library launches a new 24/7 chat service
Brunel University London has joined the LibAnswers 24/7 Chat Cooperative Service that allows the Brunel community to get help and information any time of day. Brunel Library staff are currently available Monday-Friday 09:00-17:00 to answer enquiries and offer guidance. Outside of these hours, the 24/7 web chat service automatically reroutes Brunel enquirers to one of hundreds of academic librarians around the world participating in the Cooperative. They can point users to specific Brunel FAQs and online resources.
N.B. The Cooperative team will not have access to Brunel systems or Library accounts so some enquiries e.g. relating to loans will need to wait until the Brunel Library team takes over.
The web chat service can be accessed from the chat tab or the contact us page.
The Library building is closed, but we're still here to help
In light of the national lockdown announced on 23 March 2020, the Library in Bannerman is now closed until further notice. Library online resources, enquiry and support services are available as normal. Please refer to our webpages below for further details and contact information - see also our Library Guide on Additional Library e-resources for remote study.
Please also note the following: All loans will continue to renew automatically and you will not be charged fines indefinitely. The laptop loan service has also been temporarily withdrawn so that we can reassign laptops to staff in order to support you effectively from home. We wish everyone well - stay at home, stay safe and save lives!
Coronavirus information for the Brunel community