Exit Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

We are aware that the rules and regulations around visas and immigration can be very complicated. You should be able to find the answers that you need across the various sections of our website. We also recommend that you carefully read all communication that is sent to you from Brunel University London, such as your offer letter and Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS), as this will contain important immigration information. Please also feel free contact us if you have any questions that you cannot find the answers to. 

However, please see below for a list of frequently asked questions that may help you get the answers you need.

I am a national of the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. Do I need to apply for a Student visa following the UK's departure from the EU (known as Brexit)? 

This will depend on a number of circumstances. Please visit our website for further details.

When will I receive my CAS?

You will receive your CAS at the point you have an unconditional offer to study at Brunel University London and within 6 months of the course start date. We advise that you meet any conditions of your offer as soon as possible. 

How will I receive my CAS? Do I need a CAS letter for my visa application? 

Your CAS statement will be emailed to you when your unconditional offer is processed. You do not need a hard copy letter to make a Student visa application. A CAS is an electronic document that we have also sent to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). They can view this in your visa application.

What happens if I have my CAS for the May or June 2022 intake but I cannot come to the UK because of Covid-19 until a later date? 

In response to the Covid-19 pandemic, your course at Brunel will be delivered using a Dual Delivery’ method. This means that we will teach online and face to face on campus simultaneously, and you will have a choice of either depending on the circumstances. We are encouraging students to come to the UK to study on campus from the start of their course but if you are not able to travel you can begin online and join us in person on campus when you can. If you are issued with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS), this is on the expectation that you will make a Student visa application and come to study with us in the UK as soon as it is possible to do so. But you will be able to register for your course online and arrive in the UK at a later date. Note that under UKVI rules you will need to be in the UK for any teaching that takes place at Brunel after 30 June 2022. 

What do I do if there is a mistake on my CAS?

Please email us at admissions.immigration@brunel.ac.uk if you notice a mistake on your CAS. We can usually electronically amend details on a CAS using a 'sponsor note'. We can also amend tuition fees on the CAS. Please check your CAS very carefully when you receive it. 

Will you sponsor a Student visa for part-time study?

No, unfortunately we will only sponsor Student visas for full-time courses at Brunel. 

How do I apply for my Student visa?

Please visit the information on our website for details of how, where and when to apply for your Student visa.

How much money do I need to have in my bank account to make a successful Student visa application?

All students need to meet the finance requirements in their visa application. If using a personal bank statement/s (in your name or that of a parent or legal guardian) as evidence of funds, you will need to show these funds have been held for a minimum of 28 days:

  • Remaining tuition fees (for the first year of your course). These are stated on your CAS.
  • Living costs of £1,334 per month for a maximum of nine months. This will be £12,006 if your course is more than nine months long. 

Please carefully ensure that you can meet the finance requirements before applying for your visa. There are various ways in which these requirements can be met, so please visit our website for further details.

What documents do I need to supply in my Student visa application?

The documents that you will need to supply with your visa application may include:

  • Your passport
  • Two passport photographs
  • Financial evidence that you will meet the maintenance requirements 
  • Depending on which country you are applying in, you may also need to take a tuberculosis test before applying

There may be other documents that you need to supply depending on your circumstances. You will need official translations of any documents that are not in English. If you use your parents’ bank account details to meet the maintenance requirements, you will also need to supply a consent letter and your birth certificate. If your course requires ATAS clearance, you will need to provide the certificate.

For further details about the documents that you need to supply, please visit our website with details of how to make the Student visa application. 

What do I do if my visa application is refused?

You must contact us urgently if your visa application is refused for any reason. You must send us a copy of your visa refusal letter. Please do not delay as there may be very limited time to take any appropriate action if your course is due to start in the near future. We can then provide you with the advice that you need.  

What do I do if I still have not received my visa and my course has started?

All of our courses have a registration deadline. This is stated on your CAS and in your registration instructions that Brunel University will send to you. You will be allowed to register as normal until the deadline has passed. 

If you are not able to register before the deadline, your course leader/academic department would have to approve an extension to your registration deadline. If you receive your visa after the initial deadline, please do not travel to the UK unless it has been confirmed that you are allowed to register at a later date. 

Can I register with my current Tier 4/Student visa that was issued to study at another UK institution if it is still valid?

No. Please visit our website for details of what you will need to do in order to complete your registration. 

Can I register with my current Tier 4/Student visa that was issued to study at Brunel University London for my previous course? 

No. Please visit our website for details of what you will need to do in order to complete your registration.