Looking to build your professional network? New job? New direction? Whatever your reason for adding or refreshing your profile, it is really easy to get started or update.
The more information you can give about your skills, experience and qualifications, the more likely it is that someone will be interested in connecting with you. A complete profile will provide a variety of talking points for potential employers, employees, mentors or mentees to use to initiate a conversation with you. Without any professional information about you, they may not have a reason to connect.
Here’s how to get started…
- From the menu bar at the top of the page, click on ‘Me’ to see your profile, then click on the ‘Update your profile’ button on the top right of your profile page. You will see the information you entered when you registered, which may include information you chose to import from LinkedIn or Facebook.
- The simplest way to update this is to sync it with LinkedIn - doing so will bring your employment experience and achievements into your profile automatically, so you don’t need to worry about copying it all across. Simply click the ‘Sync now’ button.
- You can also edit any of the individual fields on the page and click ‘Update’ in each category box to save the changes. The changes you make here WILL NOT link back to Facebook or LinkedIn so you can tailor your profile to this platform.
- If you’re not syncing your details from LinkedIn or Facebook and would prefer to create your profile from scratch, simply click on the individual fields to enter the information you’re keen to share and click ‘Update’ in each category box to save the changes.
- Be sure to add your preferences in the 'Willing to help' section so that other alumni can reach out to you (or untick the preference boxes if you'd rather not be contacted at the present time).
- Don't forget to add a photo to your profile page to make yourself more personable (and to allow your classmates to recognise you!).
- Once you have completed your profile, read it through to check you are happy that it reflects you at your best then click the 'I'm done updating' button to save your profile. You can make amends to your profile at any time if you would like to.